Department: Marketing and Communications
Classification: Exempt, Full-Time
Work Schedule: Monday-Friday (some weekends/evenings may be required, in accordance with the performance schedule)
How to Apply: Qualified applicants should submit their resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
Detroit Opera’s (DO) website is the organization’s most valuable tool in communicating with its patrons and the general public, serving as a marketing and ticket-selling platform, and serving as a hearth to tell the company’s story. DO’s Website & Social Media Manager position (WSMM) is preeminent creator, steward, and manager of this website, improving the company’s online presence and website functionality, with an understanding of the organization’s complex needs as a producing and presenting opera and dance company, as well as a rental venue, providing the region with a variety of other performances. DO’s WSMM is a savvy website manager with strong information technology and problem-solving skills; an experienced developer, who is able to implement new design and integrate new technology; and an adept colleague with tactful communication skills, who is able to work with multiple departments with competing, various website needs.
- Maintain and document ownership of company’s internet domains and social media platforms
- Ensure smooth website functionality, both on computer and mobile devices
- Fix and troubleshoot website errors, especially as they relate to ticket sales and Tessitura (TNEW) integration
- With consideration of the customer experience, adapt webpages to align with the purposes and goals of the institution
- Resolve deficiencies uncovered by user and employee feedback and regular testing
- Work with the Marketing Department and other key website stakeholders to implement the company vision for website design and features
- Convert written, graphic, audio and video components to compatible and accessible web formats
- Develop and create new pages
- Adhere to company policies concerning the website and online usage
- Collect data and analyze on website traffic and similar metrics across platforms
- Identify methods to improve search engine optimization (SEO) and website traffic, and work with the Marketing Department to implement these methods
- Keep apprised of new website features, uses, and new technologies of other industries
- Meet with department heads to best understand their staff’s website needs
- Work with various departments who underutilize the platform on new projects, to improve their reach on DO’s website
- Train staff on new website features
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Five or more years’ experience as a Website Manager or Web Developer
- Extensive knowledge of website management, analytics, design, and SEO best practices and standards, experience working with WordPress
- Highly proficient with HTML5 and CSS; JS and PHP
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience working with Tessitura and/or comparable ticketing service software
- Demonstrated, strong problem-solving and analytical skills
- Demonstrated written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to understand diverse perspectives and acknowledge the significance of differences and complexities in background, cultures, values and viewpoints as the foundation for an inclusive environment
- Proficient with Adobe Creative Suite
- Experience working or coursework in graphic arts and/or marketing
- Knowledge of or background in opera and/or dance
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
- The person in this position remains in a stationary position for long periods of time.
- The person in this position occasionally moves throughout the building to access files.
- The person in this position occasionally moves materials weighing up to 30 pounds.
Job openings are posted for a minimum of seven calendar days. This job may be removed from posting boards and filled anytime after the minimum posting period has ended. Applications will be reviewed as received throughout the posting period and continue until the position is filled.
Detroit Opera is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse workforce and encourages all employees to fully incorporate their diverse backgrounds, skills, and life experiences into their work and towards the fulfillment of the DO mission.